No excuses candidates - go and get the job!
Recent research bears out what most of us already knew about why candidates get rejected at interview. In truth it is the old adage that “people buy people” and people will generally employ people they like. Now, we can’t tell a candidate that they didn’t get the job because we didn’t like them can we? Of course not. So here are the most commonly used rationalised reasons for rejection.
- 70% indicated applicants were too fashionable or trendy.
- 67% indicated failure to make eye contact.
- 55% the way the candidate dressed, acted or walked through the door.
- 47% of clients who had little or no knowledge of the company.
- 38% was quality of voice and overall confidence; and lack of a smile.
- 33% for bad posture.
- 26% because the handshake was too weak.
- 21% for crossing their arms over their chest during the interview.
So, candidates, the ball is in your court. Get these bits right and make them like you and the job is yours. How much easier could it be?
(Reseach undertaken by JobVite.com, TheUndercoverRecruiter.com and Work4labs.com)